Sunday 2 May 2010

Thrift, Thread and Print.



I had a lucky find this week, a beautiful ring in a Charity Shop for all of 50p.  I stuck it on to a finger straight away and spent the afternoon in the Kirriemuir Wool Shop wondering if someone would come in to buy some sock yarn and then recognise the treasure on my hand. I love the changing shades of blue and violet that move across the surface and if you look carefully, you will see me in the reflection too.


More treasures this week included a day of printing with Tessa. I had fun with my home made stencil and some stamps. Next time I'm going to try lino cuts. I don't know exactly what to do with the fabric I have printed. Any ideas?


One piece of fabric I do know what I'm going to do with is my little sashiko practise. This is going to be a matt for our coffee table.  It is also my way of thinking about a larger sahiko project I have planned. A quilt made from old shirts. The sashiko thread is great to work with - it is not as tightly twisted as the usual embroidery floss so it doesn't kink and protest when you sew.


I finished the orange cardigan and it is awaiting buttonage. Photos to follow, I'm sure.

7 comments:

inkberryblue said...

Your ring is beautiful! I love that the photo of it serves as a (very subtle) self portrait too.
I like your printing as well. What kind of fabric did you print on? If the fabric's sturdy I'd be wanting to further embellish those dots with a little random embroidery and applique.

oridna5 said...

50p?!? It's beautiful! Just like your fabric - such lovlies.

Cindy G said...

How large are your pieces of printed fabric? I love the little "berry sprigs".

Julia said...

The ring is beautiful...what a lucky lady you are! Love seeing all the new things you are doing!

Jane said...

love that ring! Great find! Your prints came out great!

mary jane said...

lucky find! I love all your art, I'm with inkberry blue...seeing a little embroidery there. And the sahiko...too beautiful...don't get me started!

Karin said...

You are not going to believe this. My cousin lives on Glengate.